Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mini-Reviews!

I'm going to do a new feature today, one that requires less critical and/or academic thinking from me, as my braincells have been destroyed by booze and love. The new feature is call Mini-Reviews and I'll just read comics or movies and give a paragraph on what I thought. Ready? Here goes.

Incredible Hercules 115

It was recommended that I read this, even though I have no use for Hercules, Amadeus Cho, or any of that, but I was told to read it because of the insane Ares versus Herc fight. Yes, they throw missiles at each other. Yes, they rip a Helicarrier and through it at each other and they verbally spar over being immortal and why it matters. It's a great fight scene with some great dialogue. However, the colouring was so muddy and gray that it threw me right off. It was okay.

Justice League of America 19

The JLA go to the Salvation Run planet to rescue the Martian Manhunter. The team gets played for saps and gets kidnapped by Kanjar Ro, who is some sort of an obscure JLA villain from before I was born. This has some of the worst art and worst dialogue I've ever read in a comic book. Check out this panel:
Yeah. It's that terrible.


F/X 1

This is the debut issue of a great little superhero story. It's like the exact opposite of Mark Millar's Kick-Ass. This kid gets the power to imagine something, like a bazooka, or a jet plane and he uses it. He's like a living special effect, get it? So he fights this big gorilla (which is in itself a big joke) and he gets his first costume. It's a well drawn book by the legendary douche John Byrne and it looks great. The story is a bit of a clunker, but the two lead characters, the kid and his friend are believable. They're like Peter Parker without the angst. Yet.

JLA Titans: The Technis Imperative

This is a three issue mini-series from 1998 in which the entire Titans roster teams up with most of the JLA roster to fight a technologically advanced creature made up of spaceships that swallows the moon. It's drawn by Phil Jimenez and that's the only reason why I picked it up, and of course, the art is phenomenal. I love Jimenez' heavily detailed style. It also helps that the story is pretty balls to the wall. I just wish it had been written by Grant Morrison

So that concludes the first installment of Mini-Reviews. Hopefully I can make this last.

No comments: