Friday, April 4, 2008

Frugal Fridays!

And we're already into April, huh? That's crazy. Okay, so April's first Frugal Friday is upon and let's take a look, shall we?

Liberty Meadows Volume 1: Eden - 10th Anniversary Edition
Outlaw Nation issues 1 through 19
Secret Invasion 1
Into The Wild: 2 Disc Collector's Edition
From Dusk til Dawn

Again, I'll start with the last item. I was at the music/movie store with my girlfriend, and I saw From Dusk Til Dawn sitting there on the shelf. I had been thinking of purchasing it for a while, because it remains one of my favourite movies ever, really. But I held off on getting it because we were in the more expensive one. I was also curious if it was two discs or not. It felt like it, but nothing on the package suggested that it was. So my g/f and I went to Future Shop, and lo and behold, it was cheaper there. And yes, it was two discs. Not sure yet what the second disc is; it reads that it's Full Tilt Boogie, a feature length film. Okay, whatever. Anyway, so we watched it and loved it, as per usual.

I picked up Liberty Meadows because I'm currently on a pretty big Frank Cho kick. I absolutely love his artwork, and the insane level of detail he puts into every drawing. He makes it look so easy. Liberty Meadows is his comic strip set in an animal sanctuary populated by a couple humans and a bunch of talking animals. I got the 10th anniversary of the first volume, which collects issues 1 through 9. It's drawn so crisply and the jokes are fairly good, too. It's almost like Bloom County with less politics and more self-aware humour, and I frigging love Bloom County.

Outlaw Nation is Jamie Delano's maxi-series for Vertigo about a long-living mysterious family. I got a set for less than twenty bucks of all the issues, and so far it's okay. Delano strives for Alan Moore style narration and dialogue, intricate and complicated, but it comes off forced. The art by Goran Sudzuka (which is not how you spell it, but my keyboard doesn't know how to make the proper punctuation) is cartoony and not very well suited to this. I'm only about halfway, and I'm not loving it. It's supposed to be this examination of the outsider, beyond the law, in American society, but it seems like a bunch of Vietnam references and strange one-liners and Garth Ennis-style sex jokes. Oh well.

And I've already posted about issue 1 of Secret Invasion.

I purchased the two disc version of Into The Wild so I can watch the extra features, and I will give that its own post later.

So that finishes the Frugal Friday for this week. Join us next week for more!

No comments: