Friday, April 18, 2008

Frugal Fridays!

Ouch. A big one this week. I need to stop spending money and save it for California. I vow that after this week, Frugal Fridays is going to either take a big dip, or be non-existent. Here we go.

All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone by Explosions In The Sky
Welcome to the Night Sky by Wintersleep
The Legend Of Johnny Cash: 1955-2003 [Best of] by Johnny Cash
Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison and J. G. Jones
Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta
The Punisher MAX: Volumes 1 through 4 Hardcover by Garth Ennis and various artists

Yeah, I bought a lot of stuff this week. After yesterday's post about
Marvel Boy, I went to a couple comic book shops and picked up the single issues at a hefty price. Also, I found the first issue of Flex Mentallo, but it was 30 bones and in terrible condition. No thanks.

I said I would get all of Garth Ennis' run on
The Punisher eventually. Since each hardcover was less than 20 bucks on Chapters.ca, I just went and got them all. They haven't arrived yet. Balls.

I was super impressed with
Little Children, Tom Perrotta's previous novel, so I went ahead and made the purchase of the new one, The Abstinence Teacher. From what little I have read, so far it's in the same style, emotional and funny. Thanks, Tom.

Explosions in the Sky did the soundtrack for
Friday Night Lights, which is practically the only sports movie I've ever liked, and the music is this haunting guitar-based instrumental stuff that is so cinematic. I purchased the two disc version of their 2007 album All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, which features the entire album remixed. It's so gorgeous this stuff. The only thing is the lack of vocals. I wish there was a vocalist. But that's stupid. The twin guitars that drive the song are lyrical enough. Highly recommended.

I picked up a Johnny Cash greatest hits after being in a music store and seeing the vast amount of greatest hits there are for Cash. He might be one of the most anthologized artists in the history of music (Elvis probably being the most). This set is supposed to cover his entire career, so you get that early stuff and the end stuff, including his stark cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" which might be better than the original. Even when his voice was going, Cash was still the f*%&ing man, you know? Man, I miss him.

Wintersleep's album
Welcome to the Night Sky features one of my anthems for this summer called "Weighty Ghost", which is about the separation of body and spirit. I plan to separate myself from everything for my trip, and this is one of the songs I will be enjoying. The rest of the album isn't quite as awesome as the one song, but there's something delicate and beautiful about their work.

And that's my f*%&ing gigantic Frugal Friday for you. It's not even living up to the name of the series. Okay, so that's it, people. No more huge Fridays. I have to be good.

You know what I do want to get for next Friday? The Decemberists have a live DVD out that I would really like to pick up. I've heard their live stuff and it sounds great, unlike other bands that shouldn't put out live albums (I'm looking at you, Fall Out Boy).

No comments: