Tuesday, May 20, 2008

California Dreamin'

So my g/f has come back from Europe, which means that her next trip, and my next trip, is coming up fast. It's time to start planning. So I thought I'd play around with Google Maps for a little bit and plan out my route.

Which begs the question, since the purpose of my route is to get back to the basics, is it counter to the plan that I'm planning anything? I mean, in a perfect world, I would just start driving and go where ever I feel like going.

Unfortunately, there's things such as responsibility that prevents me from doing such. I would love to simply quit my job and go for months, but the reality is, I need a steady income to pay off debts. Such as my car.

And it's my car that's going to get me to California.

So what we're doing, is we're leaving Winnipeg on June 22nd, and driving to Fargo. From there, we turn west and through Montana, including Billingsly. Whatever that place is. After Bozeman, we turn south and go through Idaho, good old potato country.After Idaho, we enter Utah and Salt Lake City. I'm not really interested in Utah thanks to the LDS and their wacky polygamy. But the corner of Utah gets us right into Nevada, which lets us get right in Las Vegas. Now my plan, tentatively, is to stay a day in Las Vegas, if only cause it's f*%&ing Vegas, baby.

From Vegas, I haven't decided. Our original plan was to go straight from Vegas to San Diego and spend three days there (two days for the zoo, the secondary purpose of the trip) but I wouldn't mind seeing the Grand Canyon, which is a day's drive from Vegas. That's quite a detour, though.

In the first draft of the plan, we head straight to San Diego (this route would take us into San Berdoo) and spend some time in the zoo. From there, we would drive up the coast, going through San Berdoo, LA, San Fran, Santa Rosa, and go all the way up to the Redwood National Park, where some of the tallest and oldest trees are in the world. I saw a documentary about this at the Imax and ever since I've wanted to visit this.

The park is at the very top of California, and if we wanted to get home the long route, we could drive up the coast to Vancouver, and from there, take the number 1 all the way back to Winnipeg. I think that's how we're going to do it because I love B.C. and the rest of Canada. That's a good way to wind down the trip - going through my native Canada.

Now there's no cruise control in my car, which means I have to do it old-school the entire way. That's a lot of kilometres or miles. According to Google maps, from my house to the San Diego zoo is 3,525 kilometres. It would be even longer on the way back considering it's not a direct route. That's two and half days of driving there, and three and a half on the way back. All without cruise control? My knees are going to be destroyed.

Ah, but it will all be worth it. If only to see the beautiful Pacific ocean, which I've never seen in my life. In fact, I've never seen a single ocean. The biggest body of water I've ever seen was Lake Winnipeg, which isn't close to being the biggest lake in Canada.

This is going to be the best trip of my life. Better than going to Quebec ten years ago. Better than going to Mall Of America five years ago. This is going to be awesome.

No comments: