Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Iron Man


I don't really want to spend a whole lot of time on this, because you can get real reviews from real reviewers at other sites. So to be quick, I saw
Iron Man last night and I was entertained. A lot. This review will be spoiler-free.

Robert Downey Jr's the best fit for the role. He brings that same charm and charisma that makes Downey so cool. He lives and breathes Stark. The rest of the cast is pretty top-notch, too, including Terence Howard as Rhodey.

I really was impressed with how the plot and the origin were tied together, as opposed to
Batman Begins, where the third act has little to do with the origin. The screenplay was fairly terrific, balancing the humour of Downey Jr and the scary moral murk that Stark wades into and out of. Every actor in the film gets some decent lines; not all of them are Stark's.

The direction from Jon Favreau was extremely competent. I noticed that Favreau went for shaky cam style for most of the action scenes, kind of echoing a Michael Mann/Peter Berg style. This makes the actions scenes a bit more organic.

All of the special effects were fun and not glaringly CGI. I wasn't pulled from the movie all the time by the integration of computer and real; it was all good.

Finally, I loved the post credits sequence. It is literally only this scene that makes me want to see the new Hulk movie.

No comments: