Friday, July 18, 2008

Mini-Reviews!

Sorry about the lack of posting. I kind of worked a lot and was really really really tired after working. Also, I was spending time with the g/f. Today's Mini-Reviews features only films that I've watched in the past three days. Have at it.

WALL-E

I'm a huge fan of the Pixar movies, and I've seen every one, excluding
Cars, which frankly I'm not interested in and is apparently the worst one. WALL-E, however, might be the second best one, just coming up behind The Incredibles. The story of Earth's last robot going on an adventure to save the human race to find love, it's incredibly sweet, exciting, funny, touching and fascinating. The entire movie looks so real that for a fraction of a second I thought I was watching miniatures. Apparently, the director sought to replicate the visual tics of actual film, not replicate reality, which makes the movie seem more real, or perhaps (if I might have a tangent here), WALL-E is an example of Jean Baudrillaud's hyperreality, in which the copy is more real than the original. Either way, the film was fascinating. There was a lot of social commentary, environmental commentary, and a lot of touching moments. I thought the g/f was going to cry at one point. It's highly recommended.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Sidney Lumet's 2007 drama stars heavyweight actors such as Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke and Albert Finney, and is a stark and gritty drama about two brothers who choose to rob a Mom and Pop store, their mom and dad's store. Told in specific perspectives, going back and forth in time, and filmed in high definition, this is a great character piece of the stupid things people do when they're trapped. I really enjoyed this movie for the characters and the actors, rather than the plot, which is a little emaciated. There's a good reason why this film was in a lot of Top Tens last year. Recommended.

Semi-Pro

I suppose Will Ferrell has now finished spending all the goodwill I granted him after the brilliance of
Anchorman. This particular film has chuckle-worthy moments and a couple great lines that are worthy of repetition but Ferrell and Woody Harrelson are easily the worst parts of this movie. What few bright shiny moments come from secondary and tertiary actors such as Andrew Daly who plays a radio announcer and Jackie Earle Haley who plays a stoned hippie owed money by Ferrell. The plot is paper-thin and the main character is just another Ron Burgundy.

Be Kind Rewind

Boring and unfunny. All the best bits are in the trailers. Everything else is just boring setup. I couldn't believe that I didn't laugh at a Ghostbusters joke. Mos Def, however, is a bright spot, who just gets better as an actor with every project. He'll go on to big things, I bet.

That's really it for Mini-Reviews! this time. I also watched New Nightmare, which I purchased in San Diego, but I will devote an entire post to that film.

No comments: