Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Avengers 43


Secret Invasion marches on surely and slowly and deliberately. So what happens with New Avengers 43? Let's take a look.

With this issue, Bendis and artist Billy Tan show us how and why the Skrulls have chosen this particular method of attack. Taking the Captain America Skrull and showing how and why he's been made to think he's human, this issue pretty much perfectly explains the motives and methods. In one issue, I don't think Bendis could have summed up the entire summer crossover better. This was a terrific issue.

But. And there's always a but. But, all of what I just said is true if there weren't twenty other issues saying the exact same things. The problem with these big crossovers is the pure saturation. Even Bendis himself is saturating the story with over-explanation and too much back story. Yes, it's interesting, but I've already heard it before.

Also, Tan's pencils are mediocre at best.

I just can't muster the same amount of excitement for this as I want to. Secret Invasion, you are disappointing me and that's the greatest crime of all.

No comments: