Saturday, August 23, 2008

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds 1


I've never read a
Legion of Super-Heroes story before. The closest I've come was seeing that Justice League Unlimited episode in which they go to the future and meet the Legion. So I am a new reader to these characters. I've never heard of 95 percent of any of the famous characters, excluding Brainiac 5. That being said, I picked up the first issue of Geoff Johns and George Perez' Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds and now I'm going to review it.

We start off with some hooded character making some sort of angry diatribe against the Legion, and then he plucks a time-lost Superboy-Prime (yes, SuperBOY) and throws him at the 30th century. Superboy-Prime ends up going to a Superman museum in Smallville (which ain't too small no more) and a holographic Jimmy Olsen takes us and Superboy through a guided tour slash Wikipedia page of the Legion's sort of history, but more of Superman's history.

Then we shift to the current status of the Legion, which is falling apart thanks to xenophobia and a lack of direction. We're introduced to a buttload of characters, with helpful captions explaining who they are. It's too bad the caption is microscopic and I had to bring the comic to my face to make it out - who thought putting red text on a yellow background was a good idea?

Some stuff happens, revelations that mean nothing to me, and some character bits that don't do anything for me happen. I don't know who any of these people are. Near the end of the issue, Superman of the 20th century is brought to the future (thank heavens - somebody I recognize) and he's briefed on the insanity of Superboy-Prime. He says to bring the other two Legions from alternate worlds to help and kick butt.

What other Legions? When did Superman ever deal with 3 different Legions? If each Legion is a different continuity, then shouldn't the past also be a different continuity - specifically, how does the same Superman know of 3 different Legions?

I don't understand at all.

For a new reader of the Legion, this was a decent introduction.... Sort of. This issue has the same problems that DC Universe 0 does: it's not a primer, it's a love letter to continuity. I'm sure there's a billion easter eggs in this issue for the hardcore Legion reader, but this reader? This reader don't know nothing.

On the technical side, Johns keeps the story moving and sort of flowing. He has a lot to set up in little time, so I'm forgiving the obvious signs of decompression and slow pace. I trust Johns, sort of. The big stuff he hasn't disappointed (
Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War), but the little stuff he has (post-Sinestro Corps War ie the Secret Origins arc). On the art side, Perez' pencils are exquisite. He manages to toss in all this detail without it cluttering the page. Also, his obsession with wide eyes is let loose in the pages of this comic. Every single page has a bunch of close-ups on eyes. Still, that's not enough to detract from Perez' pencils. Very enjoyable.

I guess
Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds was good. I don't really know what's going on, but I'm excited to see one hundred characters fight Superboy-Prime at the same time. A lot of people are tired of Superboy-Prime as a character, but I enjoy him. He's different than the rest, more human, ironically. He's just a child who needs a Ma and Pa Kent.

I'd recommend this comic, if only cause the rest of the series should be pretty bad-ass with Perez' pencils and Johns' skills at rebuilding broken characters and properties.

No comments: