Monday, September 1, 2008

Summer Revisited

In this post, from February, I laid out a bunch of things I wanted to do this summer. Now that it's September 1st, 2008, after summer, I'm going to see if I accomplished anything on my list. Let's go.

I started with the easy stuff:
I want to go to the Ex, or the Red River Exhibition, which is really just a bunch of carnival rides and fireworks. It's a staple of Winnipeg. I haven't been to the Ex since I was in second year of high school, so we're talking about 8 years. I never had anybody to go with before, and I might not have anybody to go with this year, but that's a stupid excuse.
Also, I would like to go ride some horses. I sort of fell in love with horses when I read Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses, and The Crossing which are terrific books about cowboys. McCarthy's sensual and biblical prose makes the horses seem so epic. It makes me want to ride some horses.

Well, that's easy. I went to the Ex with my g/f. Funny story, we went early, and pounded back two beers at the entrance, and then when we got to the front gate, it turned out they weren't open for another two hours. So we went to the Park to work off our buzz.

Also, I went horseback riding, and got sick. Yay, so right now I'm two for two.

Next, we get to the "probably will do" section:
I want to go on a vision quest. Now before you start laughing or anything, let me explain. For years, I thought I knew exactly what I was doing in my life, and I thought I knew my path in life completely. But in the past two months, everything I knew and everything I had changed. My life seems different, and I'm not sure where to go. A vision quest is exactly the solution to this. It sounds very crazy and very dangerous, but I really want to do this. The idea is that a combination of sensory deprivation, solitude, dehydration and spirituality is supposed to make your path in life clear to you, and what you need to do becomes apparent. A vision quest is a part of many cultures on the planet, not just Native Americans. A vision quest is a way to strip away all the noise, all the hurt, all the baggage, all the crap that makes us civilization and take us down to the meat of who we are. The vision is apparently provided by totemic spirits, but those are just metaphors for clarity of mind and peace of mind. So my plan is to go into the woods for a couple of days with only some water and some clothes and let my vision come to me.

I didn't do that. Why not? Well, at the time, I was in very stressed out personal position, with lots of problems, and I thought that the spiritual quest would help me shave off all the nasty things in my perception and get me to the meat of things. I don't really need it right now, as I'm in a much better and happier place now.

The other thing I wanted to do was skydiving, but money and work interfered there. So I'm two for four now.

Then, a month later, I blogged about this, a possible trip to California. I said:
I also thought of another thing I'd like to do. I want to drive to California. Not fly, not swim, but drive. Going on the open road, blasting the tunes, the windows rolled down, me and somebody special in the seat next to me, whoever that might be, but all of this, all of this bullsh*t that I've gone through will be dust floating into the empty night sky, and all that is ahead of me will be beautiful open land, as far as eyes can perceive.

I certainly did it. I went to California with my somebody special, and I went to San Diego, Los Angeles, the Hollywood Sign, all of it. I saw everything I wanted to see, sort of, and I did it with my g/f. It was awesome.

In this post, I had laid out my plans for the actual trip itself, and from there, it was only a matter of time before we left and then, just as quickly, came back. It was awesome.

Now I'm three for five. That's pretty rad.

Was it all worth it? Did I have a good summer? Yes. I had a great summer filled with lots of memories and lots of fun and lots of great times with my g/f!

Now, looking to the future. What do I want to do with my winter? Let's lay out my goals for the winter, and then revisit this post, in say, January or February, bringing it full circle.
1. pay off debts
2. write the novel I've had in my head since January, or at least made progress
3. go to Oktober Fest
4. finish Against The Day
5. read Fingerprints of The Gods, which I received as a gift (the very first gift) from my g/f
6. pay off debts

So that seems doable. I can't think of anything else I want to accomplish this year. Of course, I will follow up with something, if I think of something else. So there we go. A plan for winter, one that's better for saving money, rather than spending money.

To conclude, I say "see you in February" to this post.

No comments: