Sunday, September 7, 2008

Two Hundredth Post Spectacular

Well, after 8 and a half grueling months of (attempted) daily blogging, I've reached the two hundredth post. For this two hundredth post spectacular, I'm going to do a retrospec(tacular)tive and figure out where the blog is going. Also, I will finish the post with a look at comics (not really surprising).

To start, let's take a look at some of my favourite blog posts.... This one, from February, where I try to dissect an essay from Ken Lowery about how annoying obsessive fans are. This was my first real time being a comic "critic" rather than a "reviewer". Or, this post, in which I detail the single best issue of Fantastic Four ever written. One of my favourite movie reviews was this one, for
Into The Wild; I was really into the movie and I don't think my feelings have changed much. You could also say I love Garth Ennis, based on the sheer amount of posts I've done. I also really love my essay on the current state of "event comics" which you can read here. And of course, my trip to California, which you can read about here, along with the build-up, here.

As well, I changed the logo a bunch of times:






A lot of stuff has happened in my life since I started this blog - I went to California, I have a new g/f whom I love dearly, I got a promotion at work and was transferred all over the city.

So what are we looking at for the next two hundred posts here at "a lay of the land"? I hope to accomplish what I set out to do this winter, which you can read about here, and I hope to post more reviews. Also, at the end of the year, I will post the master list of all the books I've read and all the movies I've seen in 2008, with links to reviews.

To conclude this two hundredth post spectacular, let's look at some other two hundredth issues, such as:

The Amazing Spider-Man 200


The Uncanny X-Men 200


Action Comics 200


Justice League of America 200


Detective Comics 200


Fantastic Four 200


The Avengers 200


Cerebus 200


Those are some great issues. I absolutely love that The Avengers and Justice League of America were both drawn by George Perez. That guy can draw. It's also a shame that the two hundredth issue of Cerebus was the end of the wretched "Mothers and Daughters" storyline. I notice that every anniversary issue other than Action Comics and Detective Comics have "Double-Sized" on it. That's interesting that in the Silver Age, they didn't commemorate anniversary issues. Which is in stark contrast to the current age when every anniversary is announced.

So that's it for the two hundredth post spectacular! Thanks for reading!

No comments: