Thursday, October 23, 2008

Epic Catch-Up Post

Sooo... how are you? That's great. That's great. Me? Well, I've had a busy couple of weeks. Really busy. So busy that I haven't really had time to update the ol' blog. I apologize. It's been hectic. With work, and the g/f and upcoming changes in my life, things have been crazy. Today I decided to do a massive update and just catch you all up to speed on the fantastic amount of stuff that I've gotten up to. So, here we go.

1.
I went to the Manitoba Comic Con and Sci-Fi Expo, which was fairly decent. Every year I go to one of these things, I'm expecting something the size of San Diego con. Which isn't possible considering the size of our fair city. As well, every year I expect the thing to be much cooler than it ends up being. It's like I always forget that the entire place isn't loaded with fat sweaty guys talking about Brand New Day or something. This year I went with the intent to pick up any stray Garth Ennis stuff and any Avatar Press stuff and I managed to get away with:
-
Black Summer, issues 0 through 7 by Warren Ellis and Juan Jose Ryp
-
War is Hell: The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle, by Ennis and Howard Chaykin
-
Casanova, issues 1 to 13, by Matt Fraction and various
-
Avengers: Ultron Unlimited tpb by Kurt Busiek and George Perez
-
Death: The High Cost of Living, by Neil Gaiman and Chris Bachalo
-
Death: The Time of Your Life, by Neil Gaiman and Chris Bachalo
-
Mystech Wars, by Dan Abnett and Bryan Hitch
I also saw some great costumes and saw some people I knew that I didn't know were comic fans. I also saw the Ecto-1 and a Super-Tranny. Here are some pics:






2.
I saw a whoooole bunch of movies. Here's the list along with mini-mini-reviews of each.
A Bridge Too Far - I was astounded by how good this was.
The Good Shepard - boring.
Wanted - ridiculous and annoying
Get Smart - funny enough I suppose but nothing genius, although Alan Arkin is.
The Strangers - direction was strong, story was weak.
Journey To The Centre of The Earth (2008) - hilarious if you love science and hate good dialogue
The Incredible Hulk - it was entertaining but not nearly enough huevos like Ang Lee's version.

I also managed to catch
Wall-E in the theatres again. That's how much I like that movie.

3.
I watched the first two seasons of
The Venture Brothers, and I'm pretty sure that's the absolute best animated show I've seen since, well, Harvey Birdman or Justice League Unlimited. If you like your superheroes or Saturday morning cartoons and you're above the age of twelve, you're going to love this show. Highly recommended.

4.
I got out and voted in the Canadian Federal Election and I will tell you this: I only voted Liberal because I didn't want to split the vote and let Steven Fletcher win, who allegedly doesn't believe in gay marriage and probably wants to take abortion away.

5.
I read
The Collected Stories by Richard Yates. I read A Multitude of Sins and Wildlife by Richard Ford. I read The Complete WildCATS by Alan Moore and Red Son by Mark Millar.

6.
I'm currently 150 pages into
Young Hearts Crying by Richard Yates, 105 pages into Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John LeCarre and 90 pages into Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock.

Join us later for reviews of Secret Invasion and Final Crisis. Tally Ho!

No comments: