Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes We Can

Barack Obama is the new President of the United States of America. Well okay. That's just great. I didn't vote for Obama, as I live in Canada (I voted for the Liberals, the Canadian equilivalent to the Democrats), but I would have if I lived in the States (preferably in Montana or California). The reason being? He's a fantastic orator, he's intelligent, and he's calling for massive changes. Yes, we can, he tells us over and over again. Yes, we can.

For me, this is the most inspiring person since Romeo Dallaire, the only living man I would call a hero. Coincidentally, Dallaire is the recipient of the Order of Canada. The motto of that aware being
desiderantes meliorem patriam, meaning "They desire a better country."

Obama is new to politics, relatively, and he's not going to be a perfect President. But, if he can inspire the people to take action, make changes and strive for something better than what they have, or what they are, then isn't that what makes a great man? If he can inspire people to make change then he will be a great man.

"Yes we can to justice and equality. Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity. Yes we can heal this nation. Yes we can repair this world. Yes we can."

No comments: