Saturday, March 6, 2010

Books I haven't read yet

I thought I'd give an inventory of books that sit on my shelves, waiting to be read, and then, slowly but surely, mark off the ones I've read. Ever since I gave up television, and weekly updates on comics, I've been consumed with a desire to read and never stop. There's so much I want to read, and so little time, it's such a shame. I've been really good about reading what I buy the past year and a half. It isn't like before, where I had a poor ratio, only quarter of owned books were read. Now that I've sold almost all of my books (sacrilege!), and my money is much much tighter, I'm very selective with what I buy. Mostly I buy whatever I've already read from the library, but there are some things I get...

In no particualar order, here are the books that languish unread on my shelves.

John Fowles, Daniel Martin
Peter Carey, Oscar and Lucinda
Charles Dickens, Bleak House
Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
John Dos Passos, The U. S. A. Trilogy
George Eliot, Middlemarch
Flann O'Brien, The Complete Novels
David Simon and Ed Burns, The Corner
John O'Hara, Appointment in Samarra
E. M. Forster, A Room with a View
Wallace Stegner, Angle of Repose
D. H. Lawrence, Sons and Lovers

See, that's not so bad, is it? All of these books I bought second hand, believe it or not. Not a single new one in the bunch. I've also haven't read my big shelf of Dostoyevsky. I've been slowly and surely purchasing all the black Penguin paperbacks of the Russian master. It's taken me six years, but I now have five of his novels that all look the same on the shelf. Add to this, my handsome War and Peace boxset in the same black style. Those are mostly for my girlfriend, as she is of Russian descent and loves the literature.

So bear with me, as I slowly make my way through this list. My love is literature is apparent with this blog. I love almost nothing more. I would give up movies and video games for the rest of my life for books, if I had to. Luckily that option will never be presented to me.

2 comments:

Lorraine Douglas said...

Oh ... what an interesting idea to make a list of unread books languishing on our shelves and on the floor and under the table and everywhere in our house!! Thank you for your comment on the Booker Blog about The Remains of the Day....it is a masterful first person narrative....so beautiful and I cannot believe that I hadn't read it before! I enjoy your reviews...

matthew. said...

You should definitely give Never Let Me Go a try if you like Remains of the Day so much.