Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Film in 2010

There are a whole bunch of movies I want to see in the next year, and this post is going to take a look at them, starting with a release from next week.

Green Zone
Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass, a fantastic actor-director combo that gave us one of the best movies of all time, The Bourne Ultimatum. This time, however, the action is political, set in Iraq. Based on the trailer, it seems we're looking at the same hard-hitting visceral documentary-esque style that made the second and third Bourne movie so good. I'm excited for this.

Toy Story 3
I'm a huge huge Pixar fan and will go see every movie they make with the exception of Cars and Cars 2. Every movie the studio has produced has been funny, heartwarming, complex, and always gorgeous. I can only assume that the follow-up to the wondrous Toy Story films is going to be as good.

Tron Legacy
I'm not a fan of the original: the pacing is glacial, the plot somewhat predictable, but the graphics are incredible for their time. One of the reasons why I'm excited for this film is the visuals are just amazing. Everything I see about this movie has this amazing sleek pseudo-retro-future look to it. Also, in a more geeky way, the movie is being filmed in a crazy wide aspect ratio, and they're using IMAX cameras for certain scenes.

Inception
Christopher Nolan's newest film is shrouded in secrecy. It has something to do with policing dreams or whatever. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Ken Watanabe. I guess that's enough to make me interested in a movie. The teaser poster's design also helps.

Iron Man 2
The first one was great, and I adore Robert Downey Jr, probably more than I should. He is absolutely terrific in almost anything he does. I love this new resurgence for him. Jon Favreau directs this one as well. Who knows what kind of cameos and set-up we'll get for the Avengers movie?
 
A Nightmare on Elm Street
I have no problems with people remaking horror films. Often they're entertaining for a couple hours and that's about it. The girlfriend and I like to be scared. We saw The Crazies yesterday; it was an easy way to spend a couple hours. The same can be said for this upcoming movie and the previous Friday the 13th remake. I just like to see a bunch of people get carved up.... I like Jackie Earle Haley too.

Piranha 3D
Same story as above, except this is directed by Alexandre Aja, one of my favs. And it's in 3D....

And probably my most anticipated movie of the year is...
Clash of the Titans
Oh my god. One word: Kraken. That's all a movie has to say to get my dollars.

In other news, a Saw sequel is coming out, a Sex and the City sequel, a Paranormal Activity sequel and whole bunch of other crap like a Adam Sandler movie. Whatever.

No comments: