Saturday, May 22, 2010

Booker Progress

Okay, let's take a look at my progress with the Booker Prize and see where we are. It's been a long time since I looked at the list, and calculated a total, so let's do this now. Here is the complete list of Booker Prize winners that I've read.

2008 - The White Tiger (Adiga)
2007 - The Gathering (Enright)
2006 - The Inheritance of Loss (Desai)
2005 - The Sea (Banville)
2004 - The Line of Beauty (Hollinghurst)
2003 - Vernon God Little (Pierre)
2001 - True History of the Kelly Gang (Carey)
2000 - The Blind Assassin (Atwood)
1999 - Disgrace (Coetzee)
1998 - Amsterdam (McEwan)
1996 - Last Orders (Swift)
1995 - The Ghost Road (Barker)
1993 - Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (Doyle)
1992 - The English Patient (Ondaatje)
1990 - Possession: A Romance (Byatt)
1989 - The Remains of the Day (Ishiguro)
1987 - Moon Tiger (Lively)
1983 - Life & Times of Michael K (Coetzee)
1976 - Saville (Storey)
1974 - The Conservationist (Gordimer)
1974 - Holiday (Middleton)
1971 - In a Free State (Naipaul)

There are 44 novels on the list of Booker Prize winners and I have read 22! That means that I am officially at the halfway point! Yay!

Right now, from the library, I have Scott's Staying On, Farrell's Siege of Krishnapur, Amis' The Old Devils, and Jhabvala's Heat and Dust. I'm about 20 pages in Staying On, so look forward to more Booker Prizes. I'm back on the Booker bus!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Halfway there -- that's excellent!

I really enjoyed Staying On. Have you read The Raj Quartet or seen the dramatization ("The Jewel in the Crown")? I liked these even more to be honest.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the 4 titles you have from the library. I liked 3 of them ...

matthew. said...

I wonder which of the four you didn't like... Taking a guess here, but was it The Old Devils?

Laura said...

Well, yes, that was the one. I posted my review on The Complete Booker recently. I disliked it intensely! I can't wait to hear if you find any redeeming value in it ... :)

matthew. said...

Well I started The Old Devils, but I can't seem to muster any enthusiasm for it. Oh well...

Laura said...

Yes, because it's god-awful !! :)