Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Design Challenge

I read on a blog the other day that it's very difficult to find a copy of Henry James' Portrait of a Lady without a picture of a woman on the cover. There exists some designs, but not a lot. This past year, I've been really interested in book design and I wanted to try my hand at it, but I had no inspiration. Well, now I do. Here, for the first time, is the first book design I've done. Bear in mind, it's my first, and it didn't take me long. It's just a prototype.


I started with the basic Penguin Classic set, which features a black bottom quarter, with the text in white and orange. Then, I really thought about what the source text actually means, and I came up with the idea of Victorian collars, which are restrictive and indicative of the era. I did some Clipart hunting and voila!


Caveat Emptor - nothing in this design belongs to me. It's all appropriated. So here, without further delay, is my first design.




Now it has begun. This post series, called Design Challenge, will feature my attempts at creating a great design for Portrait of a Lady without a lady. Continue checking back for further designs!

No comments: