Friday, October 8, 2010

I've been playing a lot of video games recently...

and I'm going to quickly talk about each one. Not really a full review, but just "thoughts" on them.

1
Half Life 2
I've always heard that this was one of the best first person shooters ever. Well, I'm about halfway through and I can honestly say that this is one of the most fun games I've ever played. The level design is great, the story is great, the gravity gun is great, and the action is intense. If I had a complaint it would be that I'm not fond of platforming. Jump mechanics are so frustrating in games like this, that any level progress that depends on jumping immediately irritates me.

2
Sins of a Solar Empire
There's two kinds of games I like: first person shooters and real time strategy games. I hate sports game. Since my computer can't handle Starcraft 2, I've been on the hunt for something to tide me over. I started with this game, a huge, 3 dimensional space war game that sort of like Starcraft, but on a bigger scale. It's the same setup: you manage resources and build an army and then murder your enemies. Sins of a Solar Empire doesn't have a story, though. It just has massive games that takes hours and hours. I started one and haven't finished it yet. I'm playing on Easy and finding it incredibly difficult. These games are always long term investments. Hopefully this pays off.

3
Doom 3
Here's a throwback game if there ever was one. Just simple shoot-'em-up. The game mechanics are practically the same as the original except the graphics are improved sort of. This is an ugly game really. There's not really much to say about this game other than it's sort of entertaining for an hour or two and then you have to take a break and play something more substantial.

4
Supreme Commander
This game is ridiculous. Here is one of the most complicated real-time-strategy games I've ever played. It took me three skirmishes to even understand the leveling and the architecture hierarchy! But it was really fun. The units are to scale, so when you have a massive army of tanks rolling through the countryside, it looks absolutely ballin'! I didn't get far enough into the game to get the experimental game-ending units, but from the videos I've seen, they are outrageous! Great game, but 180 degrees from Doom 3.

5
F.E.A.R.
I absolutely adore the second F.E.A.R. but I never played the first one. Well, I'm enjoying the game, but certainly the combat mechanics are better in the second, but this is obvious, considering it's a generation after. Overall, with F.E.A.R., you're going to get great gun-play, scary moments and a fairly decent story. I like it!

6.
Grand Theft Auto 3
I've never played the third generation of GTA games, either San Andreas or Vice City. I have played GTA IV and found it to be a little too big. But with GTA III, I feel like there's a healthy medium between the little and the massive. Sometimes it's just fun to drive around and enjoy the city. Sometimes it's just fun to pick up hookers, have sex with them, and kill them to recoup your money!

I'm also looking at playing the new Wolfenstein and Quake 4... I'll report when I have something to say about them.

No comments: