Monday, April 11, 2011

What's up with you?

I know it's been a rather content-lite month, loyal readers. I understand. This post is a bit of a catch-up post so everybody can understand what I've been doing with my life.

1.
I've lost about 25 pounds since January. That's pretty sweet, don't you think? Here's what I'm doing in terms of exercise: every weekday I do 20 minutes of cardio, usually running. Then I do some strength training. Nothing to strenuous. I don't want to be bulky, but I don't want to be fat. I'm already seeing some pretty decent definition in my arms. I'm a pants size down and two notches down in my belt. I eat fairly healthy, mostly salads and fruit and chicken, with low calorie tabasco on everything except my apples and oranges. I still reward myself here and there with Thai food or Subway, but no other fast food and no candy and no pop and no red meat. Yes, I said no red meat. Haven't had any since February.

2.
Today, it was plus 14 in the city, perfectly sunny and gorgeous. So I rode my bike to the library, my new bike that is, took out a couple books, and then rode to Assiniboine Park. Took me about 25 minutes to get there. I sat on a bench and started reading. More on that in the next point. Anyway, I rode back and beat my time by 5 minutes. Pretty impressive, no? I've been riding to school every day, but that's only a 5 minute ride, so it's not that spectacular. But all this riding and running is doing great for my lung capacity and cardiovascular system.

3.
I'm trying to read Gravity's Rainbow right now, but it's slow going. I'm having problems starting books and then I can't focus, so I lurk on message boards or watch movies. I'm trying to fix this by reading a couple different books. Inspired by my more social awareness, I'm reading Union Dues by John Sayles. I'm also trying Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, which is said to be one of the best Vietnam novels ever. I'm looking at starting Paul Scott's Six Days in Marapore, a brief early work by one of my favourite authors of all time.

4.
I'm thinking of painting again this summer. I haven't painted in almost four years. The only work I ever completed hangs on my wall right now. I'm very proud of it.

5.
I'm designing a standing desk, like a podium. It will help with my posture. Hopefully my father will help me build it, as I suck as carpentry. Although my design isn't terrible, I don't think.

No comments: