Saturday, May 28, 2011

Personal Update

The last "personal update" I did was April 11, 2011. I'm doing another because I reached a sort of milestone.

1.
Last week, I weighed 197 pounds, confirmed by two different scales. That means I weigh less than I did when I graduated high school. I could still stand to lose more fat and gain more muscle though. However, you should see my frigging thighs - they're getting huge thanks to all the bike riding and running. Regardless, I feel fucking fantastic that I weigh less than 200 pounds. That means I've lost over 40 since January.

2.
Exercise has mostly fallen to the wayside, unfortunately. I don't have access to my school gym anymore, and I'm loathe to get a membership elsewhere while I wait for my application to go through at a different school (see item 3). Once I get registered there, I'll have access to a better gym than I used before. Until then, I'm trying to do this mostly through bike riding and the occasional chin-up or push-up. Or rather, it's mostly diet that's making this go faster than I expected. Sticking to fruit and no red meat is truly spectacular. Anybody who says that they can't do what I'm doing is a fool. Even without exercise, I'm losing weight and managing to stay healthy by just eating healthy.

3.
So the big news. I've decided to not continue with Red River College and my diploma or certificate in computer programming. Here are a few reasons why:
a) it's not fun
b) I don't have the aptitude for it
c) I failed this last semester due to personal reasons all documented on this blog and due to sheer revulsion thanks to the terrible teachers

Instead, I've decided to go back to University of Winnipeg and pursue an Honours Degree. I already have a 3 year Bachelor in English, so I'm going to spend 2(!) years upgrading my degree. From there, I'll apply to every graduate program in the country and work on my Masters. Here are a few reasons why:
a) it's fun
b) I have the aptitude for it
c) I fucking miss real school. I miss talking books. I miss being with people I can relate to. I miss the academic environment. Enough, I suppose, to sign up for a lifetime of it....

Come September, you're going to be reading the blog of a university student who lives with his parents (see item 4) and is inescapably single. It's like it's 2006 all over again!

4.
I'm moving back in with my parents. I'm not terribly excited about it, but it's something I need to do. I need to make money and work on my school. I need to increase my GPA by a lot and this means I can't afford a full price apartment. The place I'm living now is good and cheap, but it could be cheaper. Currently, my parents are redoing the basement, installing a new bathroom. They just recently redid my old bedroom.

On a certain level, I'm depressed because it's like going back in the past, but on another level, I'm accepting of such a fate because:
a) I'm a different and better person than I was 6 years ago
b) I have a goal now, a real goal
c) I'm happier now than I've been in years

Living with the parents is suboptimal, but it's not the worst thing that could happen.

5.
I've sold a third of my comics and 90 percent of my books. All of the books I own now fit into about 4 boxes, or three larges boxes. The rest of the comics will soon follow, I'm afraid. As aforementioned on this blog, I've lost my attachment to things. I no longer have the burning desire to own something and have it on my shelf. I'd rather go out and see friends than spend my money on books. The only exception I'm making is books that my library doesn't stock. It's really satisfying selling your stuff and then having tons more space in the small bedroom you rent.

Part of this selling books thing is that I can't really justify spending money on something that I know for certain I won't read again. I haven't re-read a book since I was in university. That means it's been over 6 years since I've complete a second run on a book. I've certainly tried re-reading novels, but I can't quite turn off that voice in my head saying, "there are over a billion books that you could be reading right now, so why go over the same ground?" This might change come university mark II when I'm confronted with studying texts I've already read, but the advantage there, one I'm hoping to exercise, is that I'm already familiar with the texts on the syllabus. Fingers crossed!

6.
Expect to see more David Foster Wallace on this blog. There's your official warning.

No comments: