Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Terrible Cover Art

I saw this at the bookstore today, and I couldn't help but do a post on it. I've spoken before of cover art and how important it is, how hard it is to pull off. When you have terrible cover art, I'm completely turned off. I don't want to read anything that has a cheap looking cover or a garish hideous cover. Yes, I know: don't judge a book by its cover. False. Totally false. You know what you're getting into when the cover art looks like clip art put together - you know the book is going to be poorly edited and chock full of spelling and syntax errors.

Here's some cover art that makes a decent book look like a piece of shit. Michael Crichton's Sphere, one of my favourite novels of all time, and a total guilty pleasure, has been reissued in that bizarre half-paperback, half-trade paperback size, the beach-reading comfort size. Well, they went with the worst cover art I've seen in a long time. It looks cheap and sort of misrepresents what the book is about, kind of like the Sphere movie trailers misrepresented the subject matter.

Anyway, here's the cover. Feel free to puke on it if you see it in stores.

No comments: