Tuesday, December 2, 2014

November Reads

Musashi: The Way of the Samurai by Eiji Yoshikawa
Blackout by Connie Willis

and material from the following collections:
Future Lovecraft ed. Silvia Moreno-Garcia and Paula R. Stiles
Historical Lovecraft ed. Silvia Moreno-Garcia and Paula R. Stiles
Reach for Infinity ed. Jonathan Strahan
New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird ed. Paula Guran

I didn't read the entirety of these collections, but select material. I find myself fascinated by the form of the short story currently. I'll probably read the rest of these over the next month, plus a couple other collections I have acquired.

Connie Willis's novel was excellent, despite some plot machinations that frustrated me (how could time travelers be so ignorant about the non-linear capabilities of time travel?) and some background classism that irritated me. I quite liked the novel, and started reading All Clear almost immediately afterwards.

The Yoshikawa is the first paperback in a series of 5 that comprise an abridgment of his historical novel about the greatest swordsman in Japanese history. The first volume flew by for me. I was struck by how timeless were the structure and prose. The story seemed to straddle the line between folklore narrative and exciting war story. I loved it, to be honest.

No comments: